Monday, October 16, 2017

Is Prayer Bogus?


            Here is the thing. Prayer—at least as imagined or practiced by most people—is bogus. And when they stop to think about it, people get this. In a roundabout way, even Christians understand this. When asked about unanswered prayer they shuffle their feet, scratch their heads, and wring their hands. And eventually they come up with explanations for unanswered prayer that feature mystery, inscrutability, or their own lack of faith—answers designed more to justify prayer while getting God off the hook than they are designed to make sense.

            Non-Christians, on the other hand, laugh. Facebook is full of their memes. A mouse praying, “And please don’t let the cat hurt me.”
Or Morpheus (looking inscrutable himself) saying, “What if I told you prayer doesn’t help disaster victims?” And, of course, there is the Jean-Luc Picard's famous meme, with apologies for the language, "Why the fuck are you praying to the same God who let this shit happen in the first place?"

             Of course, some people believe their prayers have been answered, at least occasionally. So, they keep at it. It looks to me, however, that what is really happening here is intermittent reinforcement. You will remember all about this from your Psych 101 class. A desired behaviour can be cultivated in someone even if that behaviour is only infrequently rewarded. So, for example, a door-to-door salesperson may learn to put up with many disinterested potential clients, and even the occasional slammed door, so long as the salesperson makes at least the occasional sale. Or again, someone may play the slot machines—and even lose a lot over time—in the hope of a big win, especially if that person is rewarded in the meantime with occasional small wins.

            Add in a few Bible texts that seem to suggest that if you pray long enough, with enough energy, and with great faith you will get what you want, and bingo, offering others your “thoughts and prayers,” becomes popular, low-risk pastime.

            I will not argue that there is no place for prayer. When I was in seminary, I was taught that the model congregational prayer, for example, should include adoration, confession and thanksgiving along with supplication and intercession. The Psalmists’ most common type of prayer was actually lament—sad dirges about everything that goes wrong.

            But people usually fast when it comes to confession or lamentation and choose for a steady diet of supplication and intercession instead. When it comes to prayer, if we’re not praying like soldiers in foxholes, we are usually praying like kids in a candy store. Most Christian prayer is mostly about getting what Christians want.

            In a further defense of prayer, though, my wife reminded me this evening that prayer is more than just getting in a word in with God. Prayer can be emotionally satisfying. For example, prayer with another person can be a very, very intimate way of opening your hearts not only to God, but to each other. Prayer alone in your closet can be very cleansing or centering or promote self-examination. And any prayer can make one feel as if he or she is coming into the presence of God—a holy moment, possibly—even if we have no idea what God really thinks of our prayers.

            I agree with her. Though praying for these reasons is not what most people aim for when they pray, and though these motivations for prayer are not often discussed in theologies of prayer, that does not mean they are not good reasons. They are.

            Ultimately, though, the issue for me is that people only intermittently get what they want out of prayer, and then fool themselves into believing that next time they may be more fortunate, all the while rationalizing that such beliefs are somehow consistent with (their favorite) Biblical texts. For me, it looks like prayer is a beautiful idea, like a perpetual motion machine, that just can’t do what Christians usually ask of it.

            And then, leaving prayer aside, I begin to ask the same questions about God in general. As a child, I memorized these words from the catechism. “Providence is the almighty and ever-present power of God by which he upholds, as with his hand, heaven and earth and so rules them that . . . all things, in fact, come to us not by chance but from his fatherly hand.”

            Really? What good father does not heal his children when he can, does not bless them with plenty, or pluck them from tsunamis, or encourage them with success when he can? Even Jesus said, “If you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him” (Matthew 7:11).

            Really? Where is this Father?

            I don’t know, for sure. That is why I’ve turned to John Caputo’s ideas about “the weakness of God,” for answers, of late. You see, maybe the problem with prayer is not that we want good stuff, but that God just can’t deliver, regardless of what Jesus seems to suggest in Matthew 7.


            But more on that Father in the next post.

8 comments:

  1. I have a lot of problems with what you write here. Wow.
    First of all, even your title bothers me. How can prayer be “bogus”? What does that even mean? Fake, spurious, false, fraudulent – all synonyms of bogus. Right there you are inferring prayer is only about doing something, causing something, a part of a cause and effect. So it’s a sham that prayer causes good, for example. Who ever said prayer is supposed to cause good? Or you say it’s fake. How can prayer be fake? I say it; it’s real. Or prayer is the means by which something you ask for occurs. What? Because I ask for something, God will make it happen? I don’t think so.
    I think your wife had some good points. You seem mostly to be talking about petition, about prayer as asking. Maybe you’re right that that is what most people think of it as. But even if asking for things is all you’re talking about, I still don’t agree with your conclusion that because I wish for something and quite often God doesn’t grant that wish, therefore prayer is fraudulent.
    I suspect an important part of your point is where you say, “What good father does not heal his children when he can, does not bless them with plenty, or pluck them from tsunamis, or encourage them with success when he can?” and that echo’s the Bible’s own words in the parable often referred to as “the persistent neighbor” where a man gives his neighbor bread even though he wasn’t going to at first, just because the neighbor was persistent, kind of like “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.” Prayer isn’t being the squeaky wheel. Prayer is talking, or communing with God.
    Eugene Petersen said, “Prayers are tools not for doing or getting, but for being and becoming.” (https://onbeing.org/programs/eugene-peterson-entering-into-what-is-there/). Somewhere I believe he even said our prayers are full of ask, ask, ask, and we need to shut up. I’ve been trying to practice Jesuit spiritual exercises, and those, too are about being in God’s presence, about communing with him, about imagining being in his story, not just asking, asking, asking. I try now to avoid asking. I present things to God, and then leave it.
    But I’m not at all sure your most important point is that God doesn’t give us what we’re asking for, or that asking for things is really a fraud because it makes you feel like you’re doing something when you’re not. (Kind of like expressing your disagreement or agreement on a Facebook post, isn’t it?) I think you get at a main point you’re making with the phrase “when he can” in the question about saving people from tsunamis, and encouraging them with success. Really, we’re talking about the problem of evil in the world, aren’t we? The real question is not, why doesn’t God answer our prayers; the real question is why does God let bad things happen.
    Entire books have been written about that, as you well know. What I write in a (relatively) short response to your blog entry will never be able to answer that question. Even if I had the space of a book, I could not answer that question! I’ll write what gives me comfort.
    In short, God is love. That’s what gives me comfort. Just like anyone else, I don’t understand why bad things happen, even to good people. I don’t know why God doesn’t do what he has the power to do, and keep us all safe and happy. I could talk about things like sin in the world, free will, justice, and on and on.
    But, ultimately, it boils down to God is love. If I can’t fathom things like existence without time, things like an ever-expanding universe, places where theories of relativity don’t work, and so many other concepts and ideas, how can I fathom the immensity of God’s love? All I can do is rest in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an unfortunate response. Many of your accusations are based on assumptions from misunderstanding what was being said. I suggest you rereead it from a position of neutrality rather than one of defence. The orinigal post is one of questions, observations, and misunderstandings. Not one of hard conclusions.

      You bring up a lot of great points of incite in your post, ones perhaps the writer is unaware of. However, you present it in the form of "you are wrong, I am right" and no one wants to participate in a discussion where one side has already reached a conclusion before speaking. There can be no learning if there is no listening.

      Please consider this before responding other posts you disagree with.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. You may be right about "bogus." Perhaps "misguided" would be better--though it wouldn't be fair to change it now. For the rest . . . I simply see the sort of rationalization I spoke about. Lots of guesses as to why they plain sense of so much scripture doesn't make sense after all, compared to our experience. And if God is love, then, well, "why?" Why all the rest? Unless (next post) God is love but can't change things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. Wow. Prayer. What a topic. While some people still hold to the belief that "pray changes things", the defense of prayer usually comes down to "well, it's not about changing God (or things), it's about changing us." It's good for us. That is what I understand in what both your wife and another comment here say. Theologically, that is solid. God is immutable. We're not going to change his mind or his plan. Biblically, though, one can make a clear argument that pray is about convincing God to change his mind, his plan, his purposes. So, who's right: the Bible, or the theologians? Has someone has published something about that? If not, I am going to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Steve. Write. As a matter of experience, I don't doubt that prayer changes us--or at least has the potential. My next piece, however, will not argue either of your two other options (Bible's, or the theologians). Something else. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. Our hearts are defined By our desires. asking God for things is therefore exposing our heart to God. In doing so are we not making ourselves vulnerable to the divine,
    Isnt this the real purpose of prayer , A form of worship. an offering of vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Let me think about that while I write the second part of this post.

      Delete
  5. I pray/praise to prevent rocks from doing so! Wouldn't that be a tough act to follow!! I've tried to stop praying on many occasions and I simply cannot. I am intrigued by the clarity that the process of questioning, wrestling and lamenting in my prayers affords and I am encouraged and blessed by the LIGHT and LOVE that praise and gratitude lavishes. Until further notice, I am giving God all the credit for my habit of prayer. Thanks again for your musings. I look forward to checking back soon to see what part 2 is going to say.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?